The Best Social Media Campaign
CAMPAIGN TIME RANGE:
1/3/2021 - 31/3/2021
CASE STUDY VIDEO
L’OREAL PARIS: CHANGE THE WAY “WOMEN” ARE CALLED TO EMPOWER WOMEN
L’Oréal Paris Vietnam made 50-year-old-platform "Women of Worth" relevant to Vietnamese consumers by changing the way Vietnamese called "women"- "Phụ Nu" with new definition "Chính Nữ"- main female - through unique, diverse & inspirational stories to empower millions of Vietnamese women to take lead in their life.
OBJECTIVE AND CONTEXT
Nowadays, the role of women in society is becoming more meaningful and crucial. They show their huge contribution through success stories, boldly step into the areas that only for men before, and even get paid higher (in Southwest area, women’s average income was 230M annually, higher than men’s 213M - Global Web Index).
Despite this significant accomplishment, they still have a feeling of discomfort to "outshine" men, when being asked about their position both at home and in society. In Vietnamese culture and common awareness, women are only considered in supporting roles, who “make happy home while their men build the house” or only known as a person behind a men's achievement. This mentality is ingrained in every Vietnamese woman, directly stopping them from shining, writing their own story, making their own decision.
This local cultural barrier creates a unique opportunity for L’Oréal Paris - the No.1 mega beauty brand worldwide to change its position in Vietnam. Despite being a successful brand in many markets, L’Oréal Paris was struggling in winning Vietnamese women’s hearts & mind for the last 10 years, with low awareness and lacking relevancy of 50-year-old brand platform "Women of Worth".
Hence, L’Oréal Paris launched a brand campaign during International Women’s Day in 2021 to:
(1) become talk of the town with strong awareness during 08.03 occasion
(2) build brand love by creating a platform that empowers women
(3) increase business result through hero beauty products from skincare, haircare to makeup.
As the No.1 Mega Beauty brand worldwide with global reputation, L’Oreal Paris was struggling in winning Vietnamese women’s hearts & mind for the last 10 years, with low awareness and lacking relevancy of 50-year-old brand platform "Women of Worth".
We saw a unique opportunity to activate the brand platform in Vietnam and making it relevant to Vietnamese women from a local cultural barrier, which is inherent yet has not been tackled deeply.
Vietnam is an emerging country, where nowadays, the role of women in society is becoming highly emphasized with huge contribution through success stories, and bold steps into the men-exclusive areas. Despite this significant accomplishment, women are only considered in supporting roles, who “make happy home while their men build the house” or known as a person behind a men's achievement. This deep-rooted mindset has been directly stopping them from shining, writing their own story, making their own decision.
As a brand that stands for empowering women’s worth, L’Oréal believes that every woman should have the right to have their own value & believe in their own sense of self-worth. A brave diversity & inclusion approach that challenged local cultural barriers was created. From deep-rooted belief of women’s worth, L’Oréal Paris creates the change right at the common word they are called.
Vietnamese calls women as Phụ nữ, “Phụ” this word has two distinct meaning. While “Phụ nữ” implies a woman, “Phụ” standing alone owns the entirely different meaning of secondary or supporting.
As the word has double-meaning, when combining with the deep-rooted belief about woman, creating a misread stereotype of them in supporting role, which aren’t relevant in modern society anymore as the role of our women are being highly emphasized.
L’Oréal introduced a new definition "Chính Nữ" to completely change the meaning of Women. "Chính Nữ" means “key female”, which negates the factor "Phụ - secondary/supporting" as common understanding in Vietnamese culture. By this way, L’Oréal aims to empower millions of Vietnamese women to rightfully take lead in their life, to be free from the society typical prejudice. Chính Nữ - You’re not a supporting one in anyone’s story. You’re the main character in your own story.
L’Oréal chose Women’s Day - a special occasion, to roll out the campaign even though it was overcrowded with many communications from other brands. To break through the clutter, social media was the core platform. L’Oréal hijacked the term “Phụ nữ” with “Chính Nữ”, enlisted controversial spokesperson, deepened the debate, and encouraged women to make their own statement on social media.
TRIGGER THE CURIOUSITY WITH CHÍNH NỮ
L’Oréal followed women in their daily routine with “Chính Nữ” ad displayed across digital, OOH, POSM to trigger attention.
EMPOWER WOMEN TO TAKE LEAD IN THEIR STORIES
L’Oréal launched hero video featuring stories of unique and diverse spokespersons: Giang oi- No.1 youtuber who is a supporter of youth & women welfare, P.Q.A - a singer & single mom, LynkLee- a transgender singer who truly “Chính Nữ” in both literal & figurative meaning. L’Oréal deepened the conversation on social media with KOL sharings, social community, news/articles, and AR filter challenge for real engagement.
TURN BRAND TALK TO ACTION WITH CHÍNH NỮ COMMUNITY
By introducing L’Oréal Chính Nữ Community, in 2021, L’Oréal partnered with GoJek to support their female drivers. The brand also assisted organizations to develop training course, workshop in self-care, self-development which the aim of supporting 1 million Vietnamese women and equipping jobs for 1,000 people by 2022.
EXECUTION – MOBILE EXECUTION
As target consumers use their mobile to stay connected, mobile was at the center of this campaign with 86% media budget. L’Oréal leveraged social media platforms to reach and engage with our women seamlessly on their daily activities.
When women read
Knowing core consumers love to read news on mobile and social media, L’Oréal hijacked the concept by showing “Chính Nữ” KV in news/articles containing the keyword “Phụ nữ” at Top 23 online news sites and social media.
When women entertain
As women love browsing social media and watch online video at their free time, L’Oréal first teased then bombarded with “Chính Nữ” film on 08.03 utilizing YouTube masthead and YouTube True View.
Social media was the key to maximize our reach, the brand distributed the film across Facebook, YouTube, Tiktok. Then heated up the debate with influencers & social community sharing agreement/disagreement opinion around “Chính Nữ”. To amplify it more, L’Oréal leveraged AR Filter to encourage women joining the conversation and making statements across social platforms.
When women move
L’Oréal partnered with Gojek to follow women-on-the-go with surprise giftset on 8/3 and displayed “Chính Nữ” visual on key OOH channels to reinforce what they saw on mobile.
When women shop
Finally, social media helped us turning efforts into sales with conversation ads encouraging consumers to Lazada and Shopee stores. While Facebook CPAS was a safe solution, L’Oréal was the first in market to adopt Google Smart Shopping, allowing our products to be shown across Google’s ecosystem and pioneer Facebook Creators Collab Ads to drive conversion from “Chính Nữ” influencers.
NO.1 BRAND POWER IN SKINCARE WITH STRONG ASSOCIATION OF WOMEN EMPOWERMENT
• Brand Power Score increased +1.4pts after campaign (in March) and maintain No.1 Brand Power position until the end of 2021
• Brand TOM increased from 5 to 11 pts in March, awareness score on Brand Lift Survey is x2.2 higher than APAC benchmark.
• Brand has Highest spontaneous awareness with “women empowerment”: 48 pts. (in HY1 2021) and able to own “brand that stands for women empowerment” as brand differentiation attribute (Source: Brand Image Profile Kantar FY 2021)
NO.1 TALKABLE CAMPAIGN ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND REACHED TO MILLIONS OF VIETNAMESE WOMEN’S HEARTS
• No. 1 talked campaign on social media across all categories (Source: Buzzmetrics – No.1 Social Listening Agency in Vietnam): 778K interaction, 216K buzz in 1 month, 47% come from earn media especially on Facebook & Community. 45% brand mentions vs. 35% (industry benchmark), sentiment score (1.0 vs. 0.91 before campaign)
• Reach 8m people on YouTube, 7m in Facebook & high engagement rate across social platforms
• YouTube achieved 8M views in just 1 week, 36% VTR, x2 higher than reach objective benchmark, >20,000 organic share & 15% organic views (x6 vs. normal campaign)
• Facebook achieved 6.7M completed views, 183K post engagement, total engagement rate 20% (x2 FMCG benchmark), VTR of Facebook was 70% (x1.3 vs FMCG benchmark), Time of site of Video: 10s (x2 vs. historical)
• Utilize thematic asset for Ecommerce with CTR at 3.1% (x1.5 vs FMCG benchmark)
HUGE EARNED MEDIA WITH 7M IMPRESSIONS
Achieved huge earned media with, 7M impressions from 100 articles and 3,000 organic engagement from consumers (AR filter and offline activation)
NO.1 BEST-SELLING BRAND ON #1 ECOMMERCE SITE IN VIETNAM- FIRST TIME EVER. TOTAL ONLINE + OFFLINE SALE OUT DOUBLE- & TRIPLE-DIGIT GROWTH OF SUB-CATEGORIES
NO.1 BEST-SELLING SKINCARE BRAND ON SHOPEE (No.1 E-commerce site in Vietnam) & IMPRESSIVE SALES IMPACT:
• 1st time achieved No.1 Best Seller on Shopee with impressive ROAS 717%
• Skincare grows +100%, Haircare & Makeup grows double & triple digit despite covid impact
• Total brand sell-out +86% vs. last year, highest sell-out period ever in the last 5 year of L’Oréal Paris Vietnam
• Increase online business of offline channels: E-Beauty specialty online WOB (x2 time)
INCREASE SHARE IN A FRAGMENTED MARKET
MARKET SHARE & PENETRATION INCREASED IN A HIGHLY COMPETITIVE MARKET:
• Market share increased +2.1pts, with user pool 1.3x higher vs. before campaign
• Penetration increased 0.9%
ROI OF TOTAL CAMPAIGN: 13.0 ROI